Thursday, October 26, 2006

Proposal for Testing Tools Panel at PyCon07

Following Titus's example with his Web Frameworks Panel proposal for PyCon07, I proposed a Testing Tools Panel. And yes, I expect the author of twill to participate and take questions :-)

I created a TestingToolsPanel page on the PyCon07 wiki. Please feel free to add your own testing-related topics of interest and/or questions for the authors. If you are a testing tool author, please consider participating in the panel. You can leave a comment here or send me an email (grig at gheorghiu.net) and let me know if you're interested in participating.

Here's what I have so far on the Wiki page:

I maintain a "Python Testing Tools Taxonomy" (PTTT) Wiki page.

Here are some of the tools listed on the PTTT page:
  • unit testing tools (unittest/doctest/py.test/nose/Testoob/testosterone)
  • mock/stub testing tools (python-mock/pmock/stubble)
  • Web testing tools (twill/webunit/zope.testbrowser/Pamie/paste.test.fixture)
  • acceptance testing tools (PyFit/texttest/FitLoader)
  • GUI testing tools (pywinauto/WATSUP/winGuiAuto/guitest)
  • source code checking tools (pylint/pychecker/pyflakes)
  • code coverage tools (coverage/figleaf/Pester)
  • other miscellaneous testing tools (pysizer/pymetrics/svnmock/testtools)

I propose to have a panel where authors of some of these tools would discuss and take questions on topics such as:
  • what need prompted the creation of the testing tool
  • what type of testing does the tool belong to (unit, functional, acceptance, system, performance)
  • what specific features does the tool offer that other tools lack
  • what are the most common testing scenarios you have seen in your user base
  • are there any platform- or OS-specific gotchas related to the tool
  • how extensible is the tool (plugins etc.)
  • how easy to learn is the tool
  • how well tested is the tool
  • how well documented is the tool

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just a reminder that these 'proposals' need to make it into the proposal system by the Oct 31st deadline.

http://us.pycon.org/TX2007/CallForProposals

Panelists can be added to the proposal post deadline.

Grig Gheorghiu said...

Doug, I added this panel idea as a talk proposal yesterday -- it's #21.

Thanks,

Grig

Anonymous said...

I just noticed that!
Sorry!!!!!
I was comming back to make my appologies.

I guess I am getting over zealous in my drum beating up to the deadline ^_^

(also excuse my spelling)

Modifying EC2 security groups via AWS Lambda functions

One task that comes up again and again is adding, removing or updating source CIDR blocks in various security groups in an EC2 infrastructur...