Installing the memcached Munin plugin
Munin doesn't ship with a memcached plugin. Almost all links that point to that plugin on the Munin wiki are broken. I finally found it here. Here's what I did to get it to work:
- Download raw text of the plugin. I saved it as "memcached_". Replace @@PERL@@ variable at the top of the file with the path to perl on your system. Make memcached_ executable.
- Copy memcached_ in /usr/share/munin/plugins (or equivalent for your system)
- Make 3 symlinks in /etc/munin/plugins to the memcached_ file, but name each symlink according to the metric that will be displayed in the munin graphs:
- ln -snf /usr/share/munin/plugins/memcached_ memcached_bytes
- ln -snf /usr/share/munin/plugins/memcached_ memcached_counters
- ln -snf /usr/share/munin/plugins/memcached_ memcached_rates
- Install the Perl Cache::Memcached module (you can do it via the cpan cmdline utility)
- Restart the munin-node service
- "Network traffic" (from the 'bytes' symlink)
- "Current values" such as bytes allocated/current connections/current items (from the 'counters' symlink)
- "Commands" such as cache misses/cache hits/GETs/SETs (from the 'rates' symlink).