Friday, April 11, 2008

Ubuntu Gutsy woes with Intel 801 graphics card

I just upgraded my Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop to Ubuntu Gutsy last night. My graphics card is based on the Intel 810 chipset. After the upgrade, everything graphics-related was dog-slow. Scrolling in Firefox was choppy, IM-ing was choppy, even typing at the console was choppy. Surprisingly, I didn't find a lot of solutions to this problem. But many people on Ubuntu forums suggested disabling compiz/xgl, so that's what I ended up doing. In fact, I uninstalled all compiz and xgl-related packages, rebooted, and graphics became snappy again. Now back to trying to write an application to run on THE GOOGLE.

1 comment:

Michael said...

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 but with the ATI Radeon card. It too was a major PITA with Gutsy. I had to give up and go back to XP. With Heron, however, all seems to be working least with the video. I haven't tried VMWare images just yet which was a problem before. Cheers!