Posts

Showing posts from March, 2012

Dynamic DNS updates with nsupdate and BIND 9

I first saw nsupdate mentioned on the devops-toolchain mailing list as a tool for dynamically updating DNS zone files from the command line. Since this definitely beats manual editing of zone files, I'd thought I'd give it a try. My setup is BIND 9 on Ubuntu 10.04. I won't go into the details of setting up BIND 9 on Ubuntu -- see a good article about this here.

It took me a while to get nsupdate to work. There are lots of resources out there, but as usual it's hard to separate the grain from the chaff. When everything was said and done, the solution was relatively simple. Here it is.

Generate TSIG keys

# dnssec-keygen -r /dev/urandom -a HMAC-MD5 -b 512 -n HOST myzone.com


This generates 2 files of the form:
-rw-------   1 root bind   122 2012-03-21 15:47 Kmyzone.com.+157+02058.key
-rw-------   1 root bind   229 2012-03-21 15:47 Kmyzone.com.+157+02058.private
Note that I specified /dev/urandom as the source of randomness, which may not meet your security requirements. When I d…

PostgreSQL dump/restore and client_encoding

I started to look into EnterpriseDB recently. Pretty pleased with it so far. At first I launched the beta version of their Postgres Plus Cloud Database product, but since this version is in the process of being decomissioned, I've had to transfer the database I had already created to a newly created cluster in their DBaaS model -- which basically means that the cluster manager is maintained by them, and the cluster member servers (1 master + N replicas) are part of your EC2 footprint.

In any case, I did a pg_dump of the database from the initial master, then I tried to load the dump via psql into a newly created database on the new master. However, the client_encoding parameter in postgresql.conf was SQL_ASCII on the first master, and UTF8 on the second. This posed a problem. The psql load operation failed with errors of the type:

ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0xe92044
CONTEXT:  COPY table1, line 6606
ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for encoding "U…